Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Delocator.net

Delocator is a cool site for finding coffee shops, but the idea behind it -- Starbucks is big, therefore bad -- is silly.

The site has gotten all sorts of press and Xtine Hanson's public relations people promoting the site ought to be congratulated -- the media salivates for a big guy vs. little guy story.

But really, big does not equal bad. Coffee lovers like myself go to Starbucks because, well, the coffee is, more times than not, good, fast and consistent. I
go to other locally owned shops as well and when I travel I like to try out new spots. But when I really want what I want, I go to Starbucks because I know I'll get what I want. It is what it is.

Sometimes big can be bad. Many solid arguments have been made about Wal-Mart. But not in Starbucks' case. Starbucks employs thousands of people in local markets and pays relatively well. The company offers many other perks. It also donates to local communities. As far as I can tell, they are a shining example of what a corporate citizen ought to be.